Liquor liability insurance coverage

A basic  general liability policy excludes liquor liability coverage for businesses who generate a profit from alcohol. Liquor liability insurance is designed to fill this gap in coverage and may either be added as an endorsement to a general liability policy or purchased separately.


Who needs liquor liability coverage?

Businesses that typically need liquor liability insurance coverage include:

  • Restaurants
  • Bars and taverns
  • Caterers
  • Breweries and wineries
  • Grocery stores
  • Liquor stores

Keep in mind, liquor liability won’t replace a general liability policy. The business types listed above, and others like them, may need to carry both forms of insurance.

Host liquor liability insurance

The liquor liability exclusion doesn’t apply to all business types. Host liquor liability is coverage under a commercial general liability policy (CGL) for businesses who have an incidental exposure to alcohol.



Hotel-motel insurance is a very specific type of business insurance policy, or BOP, that’s been tailored to meet the unique coverage needs of your business. There are a number of different coverage options available, which help give you the freedom to build a portfolio of coverages that‘s just right for your specific needs.

As a hotel or motel owner, you’ll want to make sure you get the following types of insurance:


Unemployment insurance: This coverage is required by law and is included as part of your state taxes. Once you establish and register your business with your state’s workforce agency and begin paying taxes, your business will be covered.

Medical insurance: If your hotel or motel employs more than 50 people full-time, the Affordable Healthcare Act requires you to offer them employer-subsidized health insurance.




Insurance coverage for the entire cannabis supply chain, from seed to store.

We’ll meet state guidelines and help you protect your cannabis business with coverage for growers, harvesters, dispensaries, testing labs, and physicians.

We insure the entire supply chain, offering coverages that meet your business needs and state guidelines for medical marijuana and recreational or cannabis related businesses:






Testing Labs


Landlords & Building Owners

Coverages include:


General Liability, Auto Liability, Excess Liability or Umbrella

Professional Liability/Malpractice Liability for physicians and testing labs

Building, Business Personal Property, Tools & Equipment, Equipment Breakdown

Crop coverage (physical damage or theft, not including pest/disease related losses).

Workers Compensation



Burglary, vandalism, fire, theft and other hazards can strike a dispensary at any moment. If disaster were to arise, most dispensaries would not be able to get back on their feet without monetary stress. We offer general and product liability insurance, property coverage and more to mitigate the risk associated with these threats.


We understand that cultivators are confronted with a wide range of dangers including fire, theft and equipment breakdown. Our focus is to provide relevant solutions to address or reduce many of these exposures, including, but not limited to, living plant coverage, goods in process, finished stock, product liability and business interruption coverage.

Processors and Manufacturers

Processors and manufacturers of cannabis and hemp concentrates and edible products carry many of the same standards and regulatory requirements as vendors of everyday consumer-based products. Understanding the risks associated with those regulations, RNK Insurance provides clients with coverage solutions, such as product liability and product recall.

Ancillary Businesses

RNK INSURANCE SERVICES provides a variety of insurance products to ancillary businesses that serve the legal marijuana industry, such as hydroponic stores, testing labs, glass blowers, tobacco and head shops, smoking device manufacturers and more. Among others, we are able to provide general and professional liability, property, product and worker’s compensation insurance.


There are inherent exposures and challenges that landlords in the marijuana industry face. We have successfully provided coverage for industrial properties, warehouses, greenhouses, strip malls, office buildings and more that landlords lease to cannabis facilities and other businesses in the legal cannabis industry.

Testing Laboratories

Local and state involvement in testing cannabis products is increasing every day. RNK Insurance provides insurance against general and professional liability for testing labs.

Medical Marijuana Physicians

The majority of insurers do not cover physicians for non-FDA medications, including medical marijuana. We offer tailor-made coverage so that physicians are not left to handle medical malpractice suits on their own if something goes wrong.

Marijuana Events

We offer insurance coverage for vendors or exhibitors attending an event or a convention for medical or adult-use marijuana. Our marijuana event liability insurance covers event relocation, event cancellation and product, medicine and equipment coverage.